Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ginkgo



I love Ginkgo trees and everything they stand for. Here is a little bit of info on their symbolism. The leaves were the symbol of our wedding- we are going on 5 years this September! So the question is: "Why don't I needle-felt more ginkgo leaves?" I have no answer for this. Here is a bowl I finished a bit ago and finally posted in my Etsy store today. It is also my EtsyFAST August Challenge entry. The theme this month is the summer Olympics in Beijing.
The Ginkgo tree is a very important part of Chinese history and mythology and I have read much about how it is grown around their temples. Did you know that Ginkgo trees don't grow in the wild?
I am not going to go into my political views here or on my apathy toward organized sport. I believe that Chinese History is a long and rich one with beautiful imagery that has influenced some of my favorite movements in Art such as Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts.

No comments: