Monday, September 21, 2009

What day is Today?

The last day of summer! and right now it is 40 degrees out and alternating between rain and SNOW!! That's right snow. This summer has been amazing for it's bizarrely cool weather and now here we are with snow before October even rolls around. It is supposed to dip down below freezing for the next 3 nights so I was out in the garden in a wool hat, jacket and gloves trying to harvest what I can of my tomatoes, green beans, kale, chard, broccoli, basil, dill... I know i am forgetting someone. I covered the 3 gorgeous volunteer tomatoes that are growing in my pumpkin patch in hopes that they can survive another week and ripen up the beautiful fruit they are producing. I also dragged pots into the garage... my neighbors once again probably think I am crazy... or maybe they are used to it now.
If anyone has any suggestions for delicious recipes involving kale or chard please let me know: I have a lot of it! If anyone local wants some kale I would love to share~drop me a line so I can go cut some more.

I do want to alert you: all my faithful or accidental readers, that i will be doing some Yeah it's Fall! Giveaways coming up soon. So please check back in.

4 comments:

Greenstylemom said...

I want some kale! I just remembered that there is a recipe in that Low-Fat Moosewood cookbook that I wanted to try that has kale... gotta go flip through to see if I can find it.

Everyday Yogini said...

Mmmmm, Kale! I just made potato kale soup this week - it's so good!! This is very close:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Portuguese-Kale-and-Potato-Soup-10261

I'm so jealous of your weather - we are still dealing with mosquitos and heat.

xx

Molly said...

Kale chips!

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 bunch kale
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* Customize Recipe
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

Molly said...

forget the bit in the middle about the recipe box. I wasn't paying attention to my cutting and pasting.