Sunday, June 22, 2008

Going Green Little by Little







We live in a an arid climate. I love it most of the time; dry heat and dry cold are so much more bearable than the same with high humidity. It does create it's own unique set of challenges though and the big one is maintaining a lawn. Plus the water bill that comes with it and knowing that we are dumping mass amounts of precious drinking water on something that won't make it a day without water. The second year we lived in our house we tilled up the front yard and zeriscaped. I love sitting in front of our house and watching the bees and butterflies play in the Butterfly bush and Pincushion flowers. On one side we rocked in all but two small plots where we plant pumpkins. The kids really like this. The last grass we had was in the back and after at least 2 weeks of no rain it died. Deader than a doornail. So... we rented a rototiller and went to town. we are bringing the vegetable garden out further and putting down a flagstone patio on the remaining portion. I am excited to have more garden. With the price of produce and the salmonella outbreak I am looking forward to knowing where more and more of my food is coming from.
And I wonder why I am not getting any knitting done. I can't seem to stay out of the garden! Then I think about how wonderful my new patio will be: I can sit out there drinking iced tea and knitting. Ah yes, that will be the life.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Looks like a big old project right there...Good luck! Let us know how it goes!